Position: Communications Manager
Location: New York, NY
Type: Full Time
The Communications Manager will report to the Executive Director and develop and execute a communications strategy for the Partnership that aims to do four things:
1. Broaden awareness of and about Partnership Schools and the work we are doing to preserve the multi-generational legacy of outstanding urban Catholic schools;
2. Dramatically expand the Partnership’s presence on the web, social media in particular, and our mentions in stories about parent choice in education and about standards-, accountability-, and curriculum-driven reform in particular;
3. Work to ensure that Partnership staff and our strategic partners in Catholic education are represented in education reform conferences;
4. Ensure that all Partnership communications—internal and external—are clearly written and that they effectively and succinctly communicate our mission, our short- and long-term goals, and the importance of Catholic education in the larger fight for excellence and equity in American education.
The successful candidate must be passionately committed to expanding access to excellent private and public schools for all families, regardless of their zip code, race, or socioeconomic status. S/he must be an outstanding writer who can quickly, clearly, and succinctly communicate complex ideas to varied audiences, and s/he must embody the Partnership’s core values—integrity, humility, hard work, and service.
The ideal candidate will have at least 3-5 years of experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with significant experience in journalism and/or public affairs, and s/he will demonstrate broad and deep knowledge of education reform and policy.
- Best-in-class writing and editing skills
- Innovative and strategic writing style with the ability to reconceptualize how we pitch “Our Story"
- Ability to synthesize information and communicate the work we are doing, while also tailoring messages to several different audiences – e.g. media, partner organizations, donors, parents, etc
- A deep understanding of education policy and the key players, arguments, and ideas in education reform
- Significant communications experience that includes a blend of advocacy and media relations
- Design experience preferred but not required
- Social media management experience preferred but not required
- A track record of positioning an organization to achieve tangible outcomes in a competitive communications environment
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects from different teams in a fast-paced environment while prioritizing based on urgency
- A solid understanding of the ever-evolving media environment (including current trends in social media)
- Ability to breakdown complex problems and incorporate solutions that align with our comprehensive communication strategy
- High-energy, outgoing, and imaginative
- Scrappy, roll-up your sleeves attitude
- Strong organizational skills
- Website design and maintenance of content
- Ensure consistency in all marketing materials
- Create and implement strategic plan for increasing brand awareness
- Serve as main point of contact for press relations; maintain existing/ cultivate new relationships with media partners
- Ensure that Partnership staff is represented in the education reform sphere, through both media features and participation in conferences, panels, etc.
- Design events to promote or highlight the Partnership in connection to education reform and Catholic education in particular
- Collaborate and coordinate as necessary as across all Partnership teams
- Day-to-day management of social media accounts (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)